Pocket door frame buying recommendations

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
sebastien

Pocket door frame buying recommendations

Post by sebastien » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:14 pm

So I'm looking to install 2 pocket doors to make a double glass door (picture 2 french doors, as pocket doors).
I'm shopping around local suppliers and big players (renodepot, homedepot, rona, lowes, even checked Amazon).

Some of these kits seem real flimsy, some have extremely varying reviews for the same product (from awesome, to just terrible). This all leaves me quite confused.

What would be your recommendations for buying pocket door frames & would you recommend certain providers or manufacturers?

thanks!

A. Spruce

Re: Pocket door frame buying recommendations

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:48 pm

I bought a frame in a box at Home Depot last summer for a bathroom project. While the components seemed decent enough, the instructions were junk and the assembly was a joke. There is no reasonable way to square the frame as it's being built. I was sheeting one side with plywood, so squaring was much less of an issue for me, but if I had to do it over again, I'd go to an actual door company (not a home center or big box) and buy what I needed. IMHO, it's worth the price.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: Pocket door frame buying recommendations

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:07 am

I have never done a double unit but its really just putting two singles together. "Johnson Hardware " is the most common units sold around here and they are very good IMO. They do sell a "converging kit" that helps with connecting the header track pieces together if you wanted or you can simply use wood I would think.
Here is a link to their website:https://johnsonhardware.com/pocket-door-hardware
Here is my pocket door install video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKS9tGa2Gos
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon